We ended up in Rhodes because we missed our connecting boat to Patmos. After a run down the longest dock I have ever seen, a cab ride to another port, and more running to a boat that was the wrong one, we accepted defeat and went for breakfast. Missing the boat was a blessing in disguise because we had a fantastic time in Rhodes.
The old town is a completely walled city that looks medieval. I felt like a damsel in distress while walking through the main gate into the interior of the walls where the main part of the city lay. I was sweating, carrying a huge bag, and starving so damsel in distress wasn't far off.
After walking all day, seeing the road of knights, learning that the french settled there during the Holy Wars, and seeing amazing walls and a castle, I found the most interesting place yet.
We were walking down a street, which was obviously local, looking for a restaurant off the beaten path, and I found an entry way into a large room. Walking in through the HUGE wooden doors I realized that this was an entrance to a dwelling. The inside was huge and had arched doorways. Felt like a page right out of Aladdin. There was a staircase at the back and arched ceilings. The place looked like it was falling apart, but in my head I kept imagining some rich merchant, who would walk up the stairs to his amazing veranda that looked out over the port and the walls, and how grand this house may have been at one point. Or maybe it was a stable for horses and traveling sailors who needed have a cheap place to sleep, and a little lady on the side.
My favorite part of traveling is the imagining. You can put so many stories into a little corner of the world that you discovered
1 comment:
Great pics of Rhodes, and you captured Panagia as well....great to see!
Post a Comment