February 13, 2016

To my batha

Dearest Astrid,

Today, we had an exceptional bonding experience.

It all started while we were in the Philippines when you were just three months old. Mom wanted to go scuba diving, but it would mean she would be gone from 9 am until late in the afternoon. Not to let your breast feeding schedule stop her from her love of scuba diving, she pumped several bottles of breast milk the day before and said adios to us as the sun rose.

The day started off with a swim and showing you how to splash in the water. I would wiggle my toes and you followed suit. 



A power nap while daddy did some flight bookings for the rest of our trip. 



A trip to the busy Alona beach to finalize a few more trip details was in order, so I tossed you in the sling and headed to town. In the busy Filipino town, we were turning heads everywhere, since I tend to standout in Asia, it's not every day you see a giant albino, but it was you that stole the show. You were smiling and giggling at all the people to the delight of many of the locals who were coming up to us to say hello little "Batha", baby in Tagalog.

After strolling, we stopped for fish tacos at a beach bar that had a nice shady spot for us. We camped out, played with an ice cube and watched the people go by. We were taking it all in and it was lovely. We each got a bottle to sip on, a beer for daddy and breast milk for you.



Our little outing was a short one, so I only brought one diaper and a bottle, but lo and behold you decided to up the stakes. While at the bar, you must have been comfortable, so you decided to deliver quite the #2 that pushed your poor diaper to the breaking point. Changing you wasn't an easy task since we were at a restaurant bar with a tiny bathroom and I had no wipes to clean you up.

Thankfully the bathroom had a large sink to give your bottom a little rinse and used the hand air dryer to make it perfect. You were as happy as could be and we headed home in a rickety "trike" cab where you continued to make plenty of Filipino ladies smile as you looked out on the world. The cab driver was all smiles as well, but this photo doesn't do him justice. These trikes are quite the opposite to the heavy safety standards of the US, but we travel quite a bit slower here due to the terrible roads and ancient motors.



As we got home, you snoozed away until mom returned to cherish your little face. I think she missed you, as she is rarely away from you for more than an hour or two. 




I hope this message finds you in a place that recognizes the beauty in a smile and focusing on the essentials of life. An easy going, kind and resourceful attitude will take you around the world and back many times over. Your mother and I know this well, and it seems you have inherited our love of travel, happiness and making the best of any situation.

To my little Batha who is now surely a woman in her own, today was special as you were my little travel buddy and my love for you somehow grew even stronger than before.

Here's to many more in the years to come!

Love,

Daddy

1 comment:

Helene said...

My dearest Son, what a lovely Father you are! I can picture your adventures together.......big and small, and I am sure Astrid will become equally comfortable traveling, like you and Jen. Lots of love, mom