November 19, 2010

Almost done with all the house repairs!

Haha, of course not, that is impossible, but wouldn't it be funny. This house is in constant need of attention. It's almost like the Golden Gate bridge where there are painters who paint the bridge and by the time they reach one end of the bridge, it's time to start again on the other side. 

BUT...

I have made considerable improvements that should look nice and new for some time. While lots of little things are improved and cleaned, the big milestones recently are finishing all the shutters in the house. Peeling the paint, filling cracks and holes, sanding, de-rusting the hinges, fresh coats of paint and a little extra to help it all keep their luster in the treacherous salty air. 

Before






After stripping the paint


Several new coats of paint



Glyn who has been sanding for about two weeks straight now. I couldn't have done half as much on my own and he is very good at sanding. Everything looked newly cut from the carpenter's by the time he was done. 

Glyn



Sanding the hinges

We got some great new little gadgets to do this right, and I'm sorry to my dear sister Michelle that I didn't have this sooner when she helped me earlier, but we can make dirty, rusted hinges, look like new with our drill bit sander and wire brush cups.


I have a paint gun now, so I can do shutters in 30 seconds and then just brush up the drips. What a time saver!


Dog


After
 Small guest room shutters

 Living room shutters

 Studio wall

Studio shutters

That's just a couple of the big projects that take about a week to do right and I'm glad to say there are no more shutters to do in the house. No longer will I be permanently covered in blue specks of paint and smell of turpentine. Now we can finally focus on fixing a few things like some doors, lights, walls, toilets, cabinets, tool room, stairs, gates, chairs, ceiling beams, etc. etc. etc.... Sigh. It's going to look good. 

3 comments:

Julie said...

You are putting so much work (with love) into the house! It looks great!

Mormor Helene said...

WOW, WOW, and WOW again!!! So glad I raised you right! lol......so much easier when sharing all that hard work, and soon we can sit back and enjoy it all. Thanks to everyone involved for making our home glow!

Mimi said...

It looks great...and yes, I could have used that tool for the hinges I did! Glad to see you are doing your best to keep Glyn out of trouble.