June 18, 2015

SAS Strike

Sitting, sitting, sitting, waiting in an airport on a continuing delayed flight  is not what I would call enjoyable. But less enjoyable is what happened after our flight was canceled due to an unplanned strike in the Copenhagen airport with SAS representatives.

An announcement was made that our flight was canceled only 4 hours after being in the airport. We RACED to the service line as we knew there was going to be a large back up. We arrived with about 150 people in line before us with already bored and aggravated looking attendants manning only 3 stations in the help desk area.

So being the sheep we are we joined up in the queue hoping that the line would move fast. Well it didn’t. After a half an hour I needed to sit down as my stomach was uncomfortable. I went to find a seat and camped out in a trolly car seat that was not being used for a little bit.  After sitting for a half an hour uncomfortably and checking in on Stuart I realized that this line was not moving and we would be here for hours. Not only would we be waiting but we would probably end up with no flight alternatives to get to our destination.

I finally went up to a security guard who was trying to keep the peace of some really unhappy customers. I looked him in the eyes, asked him if there was an alternative line and desperately pushed out my belly to make it look as big as possible. He said “No, everyone is the same” sternly. 
I didn’t move, I didn’t budge an inch. I just stood in place with my belongings and stared at him sadly. After about 5 minutes of standing there, he quickly moved the rope barrier and motioned for me to go to the front of the line!

It was a struggle to even get a hotel room for the night but I played the pregnant card again with the unhappy agent who wanted us to sleep in the airport. We also rebooked it to Budapest the next day by 1pm but only if we took three connecting flights via Lufthansa. All the flights were booking up FAST so I said “Yes, book it all” grabbed my tickets and found Stu in line (30 feet from his original position).

After a tiring 16 hours we did make it to Budapest in time to send Stu off with his buddies for the bachelor party. 

No comments: