March 8, 2013

Bells in my head

I never truly thought I would be the type to break such news in a blog format, but it is easiest to share the news and pictures better than I can ever tell it. On February 14th, 2013, I asked Jen for her hand in marriage and she made me a very lucky man when she said "Yes!" Here's the rest of the story...

On February 11th, Jen had been on a work trip to Detroit, MI for 5 days and had opted to fly to Buffalo for the weekend before making her way to NYC for another business meeting. It would have been too much to come back to the East coast twice in such a short period. I was invited to join her in NYC, but the evenings were quickly consumed with lots of team events for Jen. I was able to take the time to catch up with friends around the city. Knowing we would finally have a day to ourselves on Valentine's day, the moment that had been in the planning for some time finally presented itself. 

Picked Jen up from work
I took her to Washington Square Park, which was significant to us for a couple of reasons. I asked if she remembered which bench was the one where we first said "I love you" to each other. She remembered well and we took a moment to reflect on those times. I had prepared a little something to share and read to Jen. 

"Dearest Jen,

Just over four years ago, we had our first date that took several unpredictable turns and found us on a subway entrance just before the break of rain. You gave me your first kiss with a diamond smile and all of a sudden, my world was a lot brighter. 

On this day, 4 years ago, you were in Aruba, but I felt you in my heart and nearby. I wished you a Happy Valentines Day for what potential the future might hold. You wrote back and my world was a lot sweeter.

In this park, I first proclaimed my love for you while watching the sun shine and listening to the Beatles cover band sing their stories of love. We later shared some Greek dishes on that perfect day and all of a sudden my world was lovelier.

In this city and across the globe, I am blessed to have someone so amazing to share a journey with for so many beautiful memories  Someone who has brought immeasurable joy, happiness and love in so many ways and all of a sudden my world was bigger. 

All over this world you have shown me new ways to create, reflect, learn and love. I treasure you dearly everyday and my love grows with every new memory. 

All my love, Stu"

When I finished, Jen had already teared up a little and might have even suspected a little of what was about to happen next, but when I finally moved to a knee, she started gasping and crying and smiling all at once. I asked if she would do me the honor of being my wife in this wide world we live in and she immediately said "Yes! Yes, of course!"
Washington Square Park
The ring

After the park and some kind strangers took photos of our recreation, we headed to join our friends Carly and Dominic for dinner at our favorite restaurant in Brooklyn, Sweetwater Tavern. We drank plenty of champagne and called our immediate family with the news. When I called Michelle, my sister, she was very happy and was thrilled to "have another sister." By the time I had hung up and talked for about 30 seconds with Jen before calling Julie, Julie had already spoken with Michelle and answered immediately with the tone that suggested she already knew. News sure travels fast!

The only person we did not immediately tell was my mother, who we were going to see on Saturday in Lexington. This was Jen's first trip to Lexington, KY and I wanted to make sure everything was perfect, but what better way to start it off than to surprise my mother with the good news. When we walked in that morning, I asked my mother that she surely "knows my girlfriend, but have you met my fiancé?" She hugged us both very long and was so very happy. We had a wonderful breakfast to toast the day and we began our trip touring Lexington, KY, but that is for another post.

This is my side of the story and Jen will share hers as well.

Louloudi sends her best



2 comments:

Helene Steene said...

Love you both. It was such a lovely visit, and look forward to many more. mom/Helene

Anonymous said...

Stu, this is lovely. Such a beautiful letter. Wishing the two of you lots of love and happiness!